Sunday, November 04, 2007

OUOTE OF THE DAY or CHOCOLATE VERSUS VANILLA

At one time, way in the past, it struck me that most poets are El Depresso's. They put their woes on paper, whether it rhymes or not. If you are so inclined to go to poetry reading, it makes sense to bring a hanky along.

I thought about that, this morning, when I leaved through a book wherein I pen poems. I was indulging on a large chocolate bar, milk chocolate and almonds. The book is one, with quotes at the bottom of the page, but mostly room to write your own stuff.

I read the quote: “Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare
hands – and then eat just one of the pieces.”

Judith Viorst wrote that in 1931, 4 years before I was born. She's (was?) an American poet.

All these years later, I have to admit I am lacking that kind of strength. (Do you know that the Super Store has President's Choice, large chocolate bars, 300 gram ones, for $2,99? Plus tax of course.) Oh I am weak!

Anyhow, I read what I wrote on that page. That was in the time that Gary, and even sometimes Leslie, and Van (can't think of the name he had first) came to the poetry get togethers at my place.
We wrote some silly stuff too, experimented a lot. Laughed a lot. (Ate yummy things too). The poem on that before mentioned page expressed my sentiment of mostly El Depresso Poets.

Mostly esteemed poet you
fill your cone with
chocolate woe
much less it seems with
happiness vanilla
when it comes to swirly-swirl
that literarily doesn't thrill ye

How many happy poets do you know???
Wild thing

No comments: